To secure a license to marry, the contracting parties must apply in person and make application to the Clerk of the Circuit Court at the County Court Building (129 East Main St., Elkton, MD 21921).
Both parties must be 18 years of age, or present a notarized consent all parents. If you are 20 years of age or younger you must bring your birth certificate.
Forty-eight hours after filing the application, the license may be secured. The license will only be delivered to the contracting parties and no other persons.
- Cecil County Marriage license: $30.00
- Civil marriage ceremony at the Court House is an additional: $30.00
- Applications are received and licenses issued only during regular office hours.
- Hours of operation: Open weekdays 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Closed weekends and statewide holidays.
- No blood test or witnesses are required.
After obtaining the license, the marriage may be performed, and you may proceed with a civil or religious ceremony. Arranging clergy is your responsibility. You may contact the County Court House by telephone at (410) 996-5200.
Marriage must be performed in the same county in which license is issued.
If you have been divorced within the past year, you must present your divorce papers and you will be asked the date, county, and state in which the divorce took effect.
Congratulations and good luck!